Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bah Humbug!

I've been feeling a little under the weather for a couple of days. I'm pretty sure that I've got a major cold coming, and I'm trying to fight it off. At least one to two days a week, I feel as though I'm running a fever, and all I want to do is sleep.

And on top of that, it's the holiday season. Everyone is rushing and dashing around getting decorations up, and buying presents. But not me. It's not that I don't dislike the gift-giving, being good to people, etc idea. But I cannot stand the commercialization of the season. And not being a Christian, I don't really feel that I need to celebrate the birth of a baby that wasn't mine, and who, in fact, wasn't even born in December anyway. But I've never felt strongly pulled toward the whole Yule thing either. Maybe because people use it interchangeably with Christmas.

But I have noticed that, while many around me are rushing everywhere, they are getting stressed out. "What to get for presents? What to fix for dinner? Where will the tree go? A real tree or fake one?" And I actually have no stress whatsoever! It's a really nice feeling too. So, if you're one of those that runs around like a chicken with its head cut off--take a moment and think about WHY you are doing this? Is it for the satisfaction of you or are you trying to please someone else? Are you overspending you budget just to get the expensive things for your friends and family? If you are, then STOP--if they are truly your friends, then they will love whatever you get them! And family has to love you no matter how awful those mittens that you made. Take the time to take a deep breath and think about why you are so hectic right now.

1 comment:

Sam said...

From all the songs I heard whilst shopping today, I got the impression that Christmas was about some guy named Santa, some bells, and a vague romantic sense of homecoming? I didn't know there were any babies involved. That makes it worse. Babies are loud and fragile. ;)