Saturday, June 23, 2012

Tuna Wedges--Gluten-Free Style

Over the past few weeks, I've been slowly converting the family's favorite recipes so that I can eat them.  Tonight's dinner:  Tuna Wedges.  I don't remember where the original recipe came from, but we've been eating this dinner since I was a kid!  It's simple, quick and easy since it cooks in the microwave.

Here's the original recipe:
*2 eggs
*1-1/2 cups cooked rice
*6 green onions, finely chopped
*2 cans (7 oz each) solid packed tuna
*1/2 cup (1/4 lb) butter or margarine
*1/4 tsp thyme
*1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
   
          In large mixing bowl beat eggs with fork.  Add rice, onions, and undrained tuna. Mix well.

          In small glass bowl place butter.  Microwave at High 1 minute until melted.  Add to tuna along with thyme and crumbs.  Mix well.

          Spread mixture evenly in lightly greased 9" pie plate (glass, of coarse).  Cover with wax paper.  Microwave at High 9 to 11 minutes, rotating dish 1/2 turn after 5 minutes.  Serve in wedges with sliced tomatoes on top.

Now--I made the following changes.  Apparently, even though I've been eating this dish approximately 30 years, I just realized that the tuna was supposed to be undrained.  Huh.  Works trained as well.  Could explain why it's sometimes too dry though.  But I didn't find that gluten-free version dry, so maybe it will work for others just fine?  Anyway, I  used all the same ingredients except for the bread crumbs.  I found Gluten-Free bread crumbs (which is really a kind of coarse corn meal) and since I had sprouted rice & quinoa left over from last night's dinner, I used that instead of plain rice.  I also didn't have any green onions in the frig, but added onion & garlic powder, along with our Mrs. Dash Salt-Free Table Seasoning instead of the thyme.  Mainly because I don't keep thyme on hand since I rarely use it.

Verdict:  Pretty good.  It's a good fish dish when you're in a hurry and if you plan your menu in advance, you can just make enough rice at another meal so you have leftovers.  This will become another family favorite again :)

1 comment:

Sam said...

Thanks for posting this! I totally don't remember ever having this... but it sounds tasty.