Thursday, September 13, 2007

Well, my biggest news is that I've finished knitting the Mystery Stole 3. I decided on the symmetrical version with the lace panel in the center. I like the winged version, just not with the pointed end. I'll wait on the pattern because I think that there will be a "double winged" version, with a "wing" on both sides. I think that I'd like that more. I don't know when I'll get around to blocking the stole, though, as I don't have a very good space for that right now. Hopefully soon.

There isn't much else going on here. My RA flared up in the same ankle that I twisted about 3 weeks ago (with the help of Jenny, our 6-month old lab puppy). I was just about healed up and walking on that foot and then Tuesday, I woke up, tried to stand, and about fell over because I couldn't put any weight on the heel of my foot! Yesterday morning it was worse, but then became better in the afternoon, until last night I could finally walk again. With both feet flat on the ground. What an odd sensation after hobbling for 3 weeks!

The boy and I finished reading On the Banks of Plum Creek on Tuesday, and started By the Shores of Silver Lake today. He's really fascinated with the fact that children had to do sooooo much then. And the food that they ate! He told me that he would rather eat chicken or beef, and 3-4 vegetables instead of just beans and cornbread for dinner! It really makes you realize how spoiled our society is.

Brother Ron from the Community Kitchen came to our church last Sunday. He spoke to the children about his habit, and what each part of it meant for him. He also told them a little about what he does--working at the Community Kitchen and helping the homeless. Did you know that the average age of a homeless American is 9 years old?!? We were shocked that it was so young! Brother Ron talked about how he washes the feet of the homeless people that come to the Community Kitchen, and that he checks them for blisters and sores on their feet. The Community Kitchen gives them plain white socks. So a couple of us thought that we would turn our Halloween Dance into a "Sop Hop" and "charge" an entrance fee of a pair of new socks that we would donate to the Community Kitchen. I can't wait to help plan for the dance. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

No comments: