Thursday, September 29, 2011

Slow Cooker Conversions

So, after the tornados came through, I lost not only our garage, but our oven as well. And trying to get a 14-year-old oven fixed is laughable. None of the parts are available. So that leaves us without an oven. For the most part, I haven't missed it. I've picked up the slack by using my slow cooker, even for things that are traditionally cooked in the oven. Some have been successful; some have had to had slight adjustments to make them work.

Tonight: half success/half failure. I used my 7-quart oval beast, with the 2 non-stick inserts. One one side, a meatloaf using a pound of ground turkey (beef works as well, but turkey was cheaper), a box of stuffing mix and 1 cup of water. I combine the stuffing mix and water together, and allow to sit for a few minutes, only so that the cornbread is softer. Mix in the meat, and either put into the insert or shape into a loaf shape. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until meat is fully cooked. I find that I have to boast the heat to high for the last hour or so, just so that it is fully cooked.

The other side was an old family recipe for Squash Casserole. This is something that I grew up eating, and usually make it weekly as my family loves it. All summer long, I haven't made it, and I've missed it terribly. So I decided to try it in the slow cooker. It cooked on low, until I turned up the heat at 5:30 when I was getting ready to leave for water fitness class. It looked exactly like it should have. Then, I got home at 7:30 to a mess. Apparently, turning the heat up made the squash break down completely. It was soupy and not like it should have been. It was still tasty, but I guess I should have pulled the insert out before turning the cooker to high. Oh well, live and learn.

The recipe for Squash Casserole:
*1-pound of yellow squash (I've also used zucchini, and in fact used it today. It's a slightly different flavor, but still yummy), cubed and cooked in water, then drained and mashed with a potato masher
*1 can of cream of mushroom soup (I used the "Heart Healthy" version since it has lower sodium)
*1/2 stick of butter or margarine (butter makes it richer in flavor, and we don't use margarine anymore)
*1/4 pound (1 sleeve) of "saltine" crackers (or the unsalted version, or the multigrain--it's all good), crushed

Mix everything together and bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Tonight: I cooked on low in the slow cooker for 6 hours and it looked perfect at that point.

Depending on my mood, I will add diced onion to the squash. Sometimes, I add shredded cheese to the mix before baking. And I almost always add some kind of seasoning. Right now, I'm using a no-salt seasoning mix from Big Lots, but I grew up with Nature's Seasoning and all it's salty goodness.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Thank you for the squash cassarole recipe again! I'm pretty sure I've got it on a card somewhere that you gave me years ago, probably sitting in an unpacked box. ;)

If you have the spare cash, I've had good results with a toaster oven in lieu of a real oven. Obviously, you can't make huge recipes in it, though. I also have a friend who SWEARS by the Nuwave gadget, but all I've eaten from it have been various meats.

Nicole said...

We're saving up for a counter-top oven that "fits 2 large frozen pizzas" in it. Other than the Artisan bread I was enjoying making, I should be able to make everything else in it :)